Mas Gabinele Grenache Gris Herault 2018

£118.02
Current Price (inc. Tax)
6 bottle(s) at £19.67 per bottle.
In stock
SKU
ZXHD5711018A
 

Mas Gabinele Grenache Gris Herault 2018

Country - France

Region - Languedoc-Roussillon

Grape Varieties - Grenache Gris 100%

Alcohol by volume - 14%

Bottle - 75cl

Producer - Mas Gabinèle

Tasting notes - Delicate aromas of jasmine, cherry blossom and pink pepper lead to a vibrant and refreshing palate of orchard fruits, concluding in delightful mineral tones.

Mas Gabinele Grenache Gris Herault 2018

Delicate aromas of jasmine, cherry blossom and pink
pepper lead to a vibrant and refreshing palate of orchard
fruits, concluding in delightful mineral tones.
Producer Note
Thierry Rodriguez, grandson of a winemaker, always dreamt of making his own wines,
and in 1997 he bought his first plots of vines in the Faugères appellation. Situated in the
foothills of the Cévennes and surrounded by beautiful garrigue, the appellation is
renowned for its magnificent schistous soils. Demanding, thorough and a perfectionist,
Thierry manages the vineyard with great care and attention. In turn, the vines produce
naturally low yields of around 25 hectolitres per hectare, of beautiful, healthy berries
that reach optimal maturity - the key to fully expressing the Faugères terroir. Nothing
revolutionary here, simply the application of good farming sense and practices that
respect the environment; the estate is certified HVE. Mas Gabinèle takes its name after
‘unà gabinelà’ which in Occitan refers to the traditional wine-maker's hut in the
vineyards.
Vintage
2018 saw a rainy and cold winter, with snow on 28th February. This was followed by a
cool and very wet spring, which provided challenges in the vineyard ensuring the soils
remained healthy. The incessant rain in spring, contributed to yield loss. In contrast, the
summer was very hot and dry and the vines then experienced drought conditions.
Fortunately, the water soil reserves nourished the parched vines to enable them to
reach excellent maturity producing aromatic, concentrated juice.
Vineyard
The 23-hectare estate is located in the Faugères appellation in the Languedoc and is
situated at 180 metres elevation, overlooking the village of Laurens. Grenache Gris is an
ancient and unjustly forgotten variety, which is making a come-back. The old vines on
the estate are between 30 and 60 years old, (some date back to 1958), and they
produce concentrated, complex flavours from their deep root systems. Double Cordon
Royat trained, they are planted in ochre, grey or blue sandstone and schist soils, with a
fragile structure and this high quality but demanding terroir naturally produces low
yields, of around 25hl/hectare. The Grenache Gris berries are fragile and need
constant attention in the vineyard, to ensure they are well ventilated and reach optimal
maturity. Although the grapes are grown in the Faugères estate vineyard, this wine is
labelled under the Hérault appellation as it is 100% Grenache Gris, and the Faugères
appellation requirements stipulate white wines must contain 30% Roussanne.
Winemaking
The grapes were carefully selected, immediately pressed and vinified at controlled
temperatures. Fermentation took place with selected yeasts in stainless steel tanks for
90% of the harvest, to retain the purity of fruit. The remaining 10% was barrel-fermented
in new French oak, imparting complexity and texture to the wine.
Tasting Note
Delicate aromas of jasmine, cherry blossom and pink pepper lead to a vibrant and
refreshing palate of orchard fruits, concluding in delightful mineral tones.
Grape
Grenache Gris 100%
Winemaker: Thierry Rodriguez
Region: LanguedocRoussillon
Subregion: Hérault
Country: France
Alcohol: 14%

More Information
Bottles Per Case 6
Call for Price No
Price View Price Range
Vintage 2018
Write Your Own Review
You're reviewing:Mas Gabinele Grenache Gris Herault 2018
Copyright © 2020 - Company Registration Number: 3875876